How to Store Tomatoes & Summer, Mozzarella & Tomato Salad Recipe
This Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with Sourdough makes for a perfect appetiser or a light and refreshing lunch. The flavours of the tomatoes and mozzarella complemented by the light and sharp dressing, along with basil, mint and the crispy sourdough are sure to please your taste buds. Plus, read on to learn how to store your tomatoes for longer lasting freshness
Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with Sourdough
For the Tomato and Mozzarella Salad:
- 500g mixed medley cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sourdough:
- 1 loaf of sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- Arrange the tomato halves and mozzarella slices on a serving platter
- Spread the onion slices and mint, and toss lightly
- Tuck torn basil leaves between the tomato and mozzarella slices
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Mix all of the dressing ingredient and drizzle over the tomatoes
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice the sourdough bread into thick slices.
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Brush each slice with olive oil on one side.
- Toast the bread in the preheated oven until golden brown and crisp, about 8-10 minutes.
- While the bread is still warm, rub the cut side of the garlic clove over the oiled side of each slice.
- Arrange the warm, garlic-rubbed sourdough slices on a plate or in a basket alongside the Tomato and Mozzarella Salad.
The combination of juicy tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and the crunch of sourdough creates a delightful and satisfying dish.
How to Store Tomatoes with The Swag
With The Swag, you can say goodbye to the frustration of spoiled tomatoes. We suggest storing tomatoes in a dampened Swag in your fridge but as and when needed, move them to your fruit bowl to ripen and become juicy as tomatoes are best consumed at room temp. But,The Swag will keep them fresh until the time comes that you're ready to eat them - so follow these steps and enjoy the extended freshness of your tomatoes for weeks to come.
1. Wash and Prepare: Start by washing your tomatoes with a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar. If your tomatoes are in a punnet, simply leave them in the punnet and let them soak in the sink for a few minutes. After the vinegar-water treatment, spread the tomatoes out on a tea towel (or try our Organic Non-Paper Towel).
2. Nestle: Punnet tomatoes thrive when nestled between the Swags. Nestle the punnets in between your Swag bags in the crisper, allowing them to breathe in the humidity released by the Swags. This unique environment will help your tomatoes remain fresh for an impressive 2+ weeks. The Swag's design ensures the right balance of moisture and air to keep your tomatoes at their best.
3. Best Placement: For larger tomatoes that are not in punnets, store them at the top of your Swag just under the flap. This prevents them from getting crushed under heavier produce and ensures they receive the optimal amount of moisture and air needed to extend their shelf life.
With storing tomatoes. Store them in a dampened Swag in your fridge but as and when needed, move them to your fruit bowl to ripen and become juicy as Tomatoes are best consumed at room temp. But, The Swag will keep them fresh until the time comes that you;re ready to eat them :)
Enjoy, Swaggers! 🍅