Beetroot Pasta Sauce
Beetroot is a vegetable that's often overlooked in the kitchen, but it's actually incredibly versatile and packed with many health benefits. Not only is it low in calories and high in fibre, but it's also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including folate, magnesium and potassium. And let's not forget that gorgeous, bright colour! In this recipe, we've paired beetroot with some classic Italian flavours to create a pasta sauce that embodies the perfect balance of savoury and sweet. It's perfect for anyone looking for an alternative to traditional tomato-based or cream-based sauces, or for those who want to try a zero-waste recipe! So put on your Apron, grab your blender, and get ready to whip up a delicious pasta sauce!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 large beetroots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 150 grams of parmesan cheese
- Start by boiling a large pot of salted water for the pasta. Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, heat up the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped beetroots to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes and add the dried oregano. Give everything a good stir and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, and then use a blender or food processor to puree the sauce until it is smooth and creamy.
- Place the sauce back in the pan and add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Drain the pasta but keep ¼ cup of pasta water and add to the pan. Then add pasta to the beetroot sauce -Toss everything together until the pasta is well-coated.
- Serve the pasta hot, with a generous sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese on top.