The Swag’s Bacon & Cabbage Coleslaw…Just in Time for 4th of July
This is not your average coleslaw recipe. But The Swag is not your average company. We bring an Australian flare to everything we do and are proud to celebrate the launch of The Swag USA with one of our most flavorful, fresh and nutrient-rich 4th of July recipes!
Note: For all vegetarians and vegans, this recipe can easily be adapted to include meat-free bacon options. (Our personal favourites is Lightlife Smart Bacon because it’s the only one we know that crisps up like pork bacon – and no, we are NOT being paid to say that. It’s a true recommendation) Also, you could omit the bacon altogether if you wish. Fresh ginger and cayenne pepper add a welcome zing all their own!
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil or coconut oil (we like to use extra virgin coconut oil)
- 8-10 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 pound shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 large cabbage)
- 1 pound shredded purple cabbage (about 1/2 large cabbage)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- Cook bacon in a hot cast iron pan until crispy. Set aside to cool.
- Combine vinegar, honey, salt, ginger, paprika, and cayenne in a blender. Blend low speed until everything is blended well.
- With blender running, slowly pour oil through top of lid, processing until dressing is combined. Set aside.
- Combine shredded cabbage and shredded carrots in a separate large bowl. Add dressing, and toss until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, tossing occasionally, before serving.
- Chop cooled bacon and toss into finished coleslaw mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!