Banana & Vegetable Loaf Waste Free Recipe
Putting Overripe Fruit & Vegetable Scraps To Good Use
Reducing food waste is not only beneficial for our wallets but also for the environment. By creatively repurposing ingredients that might otherwise go to waste, we can create delicious and sustainable meals. This waste-free (and delicious!) banana loaf recipe showcases the incredible potential of repurposing often-discarded ingredients like overripe fruit and vegetable scraps. By incorporating them into a delicious loaf, you can minimise food waste while enjoying a flavourful and nutritious treat. Together, we can make a positive impact on our environment, one recipe at a time. So put on your Apron & get ready to transform these seemingly unwanted ingredients into a delightful culinary experience!
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1 cup of shredded apple peels
- 1 cup of carrot tops (washed and chopped)
- 1 cup of zucchini skins (washed and finely chopped)
- 1 cup of oat flour (or any flour of your choice)
- 1/2 cup of almond flour
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips for added texture and flavour
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the overripe bananas until smooth. Add the shredded apple peels, chopped carrot tops, and zucchini skins, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine and mix the oat flour, almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the banana and fruit/vegetable mixture, stirring until well combined. If desired, fold in nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips for additional flavour and texture.
- Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the batter, and mix until the mixture forms a thick, smooth consistency.
- Pour the batter into the greased or lined loaf pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the loaf from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Serve the waste-free loaf as a delightful breakfast treat, snack, or dessert. Enjoy the flavours of the overripe fruit and the added nutrients from the vegetable scraps.
Remember to keep your fruits and vegetables fresh for longer, shop our Swag Bag, scientifically proven to keep your produce fresh for 2 weeks or longer!