Vanilla Panna Cotta with Mixed Berry Compote
Feeling the heat? Chill out with this easy to make panna cotta! Topped with a sweet mixed berry compote, it's both a crowd pleaser, and a great cheeky, weekday treat to enjoy just to yourself! Perfectly light and silky but not-too-sweet, this simple recipe will give you the refreshing cool down you need to get through summer 🍮
Preparation time: 1 hour
Vanilla Panna Cotta Ingredients:
- 60 ml cold water or milk
- 7g unflavoured powdered gelatin
- 480ml heavy cream
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeded, or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Mixed Berry Compote Ingredients:
- 250g mixed berries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Mixed Berry Compote Method:
- In a medium saucepan, add the berries and lemon juice and heat over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat slightly and heat for 2-3 more minutes. Occasionally press the berries to release more of their juices
- Add the maple syrup towards the end of the cooking time and stir well. Adjust the amount of lemon juice and maple syrup to taste.
- Remove from the heat and either serve the compote immediately or cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Vanilla Panna Cotta Method:
- Place water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over the surface in a single layer. Be sure not to pile it as that will prevent the crystals from dissolving properly. Let stand for 5-10 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, heat cream, sugar, vanilla pod, and vanilla seeds in a medium saucepan on medium heat and bring to a boil until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and discard vanilla bean. Stir in gelatin and immediately whisk until smooth and dissolved. If the gelatin hasn’t fully dissolved, return the saucepan to the stove and heat gently over low heat. Stir constantly and don’t let the mixture boil.
- Pour cream into 4 individual serving dishes. Refrigerate for at least 2-4 hours, or until completely set.
- Top panna cotta with mixed berry compote and serve.